Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Lemon Blueberry Scones with a Citrus Glaze

About 2 weeks I was walking through Meijer and I saw a container of dried blueberries.  Automatically I thought of scones and bought them. The thought of baking home-made scones has been on my mind since then.  So, I thought about what would go well in blueberry scones and I thought about lemons.  So, I searched the internet and found a recipe that sounded fairly legit for scones (except it doesn't have butter!!) and I altered it a little to make it my own.  Now, if you know me, you know that I really love citrus flavor in cooking and baking, so I added a little extra.  Here's the recipe

Ingredients:

  • 2 c all purpose flour
  • 1/3 c sugar (I used Splenda)
  • 1 Tbsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/3 c dried blueberries
  • 1 lemon, zested
  • about a handfull of fresh blueberries
  • 1 (6oz) container of Yoplait light- Lemon Meringue Pie
  • approx 1 1/4 heavy cream
Directions:
  • preheat your oven to 350 degrees F 
  • combine the first eight ingredients in a bowl mixing bowl
  • add the heavy cream, a little at a time, until the dough is the right consistency (like that of a biscuit- kind of dry but kind of sticky)
  • on a clean, floured surface, dump your dough and flatten it into either a rectangle or a circle until it is about 1" high
    • (I shaped it into a rectangle because I wanted to make smaller scones)
  • cut them into whatever shape and size you see fit and then place them on an ungreased cookie sheet, leaving enough room so if they spread they won't touch- around an inch, at least.
  • bake them until done, about 15 minutes.  they turn a little golden brown and when you turn them upside down, the bottom should be firm
For the Glaze:
  I pretty much eyeballed how much glaze I would need, I think it ended up being about 1.5 cups of powdered sugar, the zest of one orange, a little bit of lemon juice and little juice from the orange I zested.  My glaze was still more stiff than i wanted, so I added some of my extra heavy whipping cream to get the consistency I was looking for.  Wait for your scones to cool and drizzle the glaze to your heart's content. (or until you run out!)

et viola!


No comments:

Post a Comment