I took a bunch of photos throughout the process, and included them below. Below the pictures, I will add the actual recipe if you prefer to jut look at words instead of pictures =]. Personally, I don't enjoy chomping into huge chunks of onion or garlic, so I like to use a garlic press and finely dice the onions.
Step 1: in the oil, cook down your onions and garlic until the onions are tender and translucent
here are the ingredients you need for the sauce (except I just realized that I forgot to put cumin in the picture. and I also added in a can of crushed tomatoes because I made a double batch)Once your onions and garlic are ready, add in the rest of the sauce ingredients and let it simmer on low for an hour, stirring occasionally. It should look something like this:
then you add chicken and cheese (you can add more or less filling than I did.. I just like them this way)
roll them up, and place them in your ungreased pan. Spread extra sauce and cheese on top, then bake them until the cheese is melty, about 15 minutes.
Red Enchiladas
Ingredients:
- 1 c. finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 c. vegetable oil
- 1 c. Chicken Broth
- 8 tomatoes, chopped (I used one large can of diced tomatoes)
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. dried oregano leaves
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 12 corn or flour tortillas
- 3 c. shredded cheese (about 12 oz)
- 1 rotisserie chicken from the store, de-boned and shredded
Directions:
Cook and stir onion and garlic in oil in 12-inch skillet over medium hear until onion is tender. Stir in the chicken broth, tomatoes, chili powder, salt, cumin, oregano, and pepper. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer uncovered 1 hour.
Dip each tortilla into the sauce to coat both sides. Spoon 2 tablespoons of the cheese onto each tortilla; roll tortilla around filling. Place seam sides down in ungreased rectangular baking dish 13x9x2 inches. Pour remaining sauce over enchiladas; sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Cook uncovered in 350* F oven until cheese is melted, about 15 minutes.
Cost for a double recipe:
1 onion- $1.04
1 head garlic- had on hand
Veggie oil- had on hand
Chicken broth- $1.59
2 cans tomatoes - $2.00 on sale
chili powder, salt, cumin, oregano, pepper- had on hand
flour tortillas - $3 - 3 packs of 10 tortillas (on sale)
cheese- $2.84 (on sale)
rotisserie chicken- $4.99
-------------------------
total= $15.46 / 30 enchiladas = $0.515 per enchilada!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment